Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Chips

These are my husband's second favorite form of crack (the first are my chocolate chip cookies). They are fast and easy to make, perfect for a last-minute get together. I've baked these in the morning for a party that afternoon. 

I prefer them baked the same day, for maximum crispiness. That being said, I've had no problem scarfing down some from a bag the next day :)

Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Chips

1 bag (14 oz) sweetened shredded coconut flakes
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 t vanilla extract
1 t salt (or 1 1/2 t Kosher salt)
1 C semisweet chocolate chips (I use the mini chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Add coconut and mix together. Add chocolate chips; combine so chips are evenly spread throughout.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a small ice cream scoop, or two teaspoons, to form small balls. Space evenly on the baking sheets (on half-sheet pans, I get 5 rows along the short side and 6 rows along the long side - 30 total on one sheet).

Bake 12-18 minutes, until the tops are browned. I prefer a crisp outside and chewy inside, and in my oven baking for 16 1/2 minutes for this size macaroon is perfect. I have also used the regular sized ice cream scoop, and because those are bigger I bake them for  20 minutes (I also flatten the large ones slightly, so they're evenly thick for baking).

Take out of the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.

Makes 6 dozen small macaroons.



These are a mix of small and large macaroons.



Labels: